Monday 27 April 2009

Buh-bye

Big day today. Six days after surgery, got the go-ahead to wave "buh-bye" to the crutches from Marsh, my physio. The goal was to ditch them within two weeks of surgery, so I'm pleased to be shot of them in less than one.

It's still early days with respect to physiotherapy, of course, so I am still focusing on low-intensity exercises designed to help break down a bit of scar tissue. The near-term goal is to be able to straighten the leg by next Thursday, when I go for my first follow-up appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon.

Overall, though, it is a real boost to be locomoting again under my own power. I feel like I'm right back to where I was after the first arthroscopic procedure to remove the ligament; I know that if I pur in the rehab work (but not too much!), I'll be back walking almost normally before long.

And then maybe I can start waving buh-bye to the feeling of lethargy and inactivity that I've had for most of the interval since my injury.

WHAT I CAN DO: Walk without crutches and bend the knee somewhat (50 degrees, maybe?)

NEXT MILESTONE: Straighten the leg

PHYSIO REGIME: Low-intensity exercises focusing on straighening the leg and flexing the various leg muscles to maintain some semblance of tone. Plenty of ice.

1 comment:

  1. Keep rockin' Macro.

    Straighten the leg, Johnny.

    Straighten...the...leg.

    ReplyDelete